ABOUT THIS PROJECT
Luckett & Farley is providing architecture, engineering, and interior design services for the renovation of Phelps Stokes Chapel, a 20,518 SF, 2-story masonry structure. Originally constructed in 1904, the exterior envelope consists of brick with a stone water table, large ornamental wood windows, wood cornice, eaves, a shingle roof, and a large masonry and wood cupola housing numerous bells.
The interior of the building functions as an auditorium with an existing seating capacity of 1,200. The auditorium comprises approximately two-thirds of the building, and the remaining third consists of restrooms, a green room, offices, dressing rooms, and classrooms.
The goal of the project is to increase the seating to approximately 1,600 while upgrading the seating, egress, restrooms, and providing auxiliary gathering spaces that can be used for a variety of functions.
The renovation includes adding two entries/stairs and a second-floor occupiable area, making the facility approximately 24,335 SF. The additions will mimic the existing building in masonry and fenestration but will be separated from the existing building by a large glass wall façade on each side of the additions. The rear section of the building will be completely reconfigured with a large gathering room on each floor, new restrooms, storage, IT room, and the pipe organ mechanicals will be moved up to the second floor. An elevator will also be added. The existing basement will be excavated to provide a new mechanical area.
The stage will be demolished and reconstructed further back in the space to make room for additional seating. A new ceiling will be constructed for the enlarged portion of the auditorium over the new stage location. To accomplish this, eight masonry columns extending up through the building will be demolished and a truss will be constructed to support the cupola.
Images featured are concept renderings produced by Luckett & Farley.